In a mere 5 years, Generation Y is projected to be the biggest age demographic in America. But that doesn't mean they'll wait until then to lead the nation in home-buying. Already, Gen Y is the largest share of the nation's homebuyers at 32%. Here are some other interesting generational trends in real estate.Â
Gen Y: 32% (1980-1995)Â
- Gen Y had the largest share of first time buyers at 68%.
- Gen Y buyers place high importance on finding affordable homes close to work.
- 39% of Gen Y buyers primarily purchased a home just for the desire to own a home of their own.
- More than half of Gen Y buyers used a mobile device during their home search and of that group, 31% found the home they purchased this way.
- 90% of Gen Y bought their home through a real