How to Choose a Honolulu REALTOR ®
Whether you're buying or selling real estate in Honolulu, the first step should be finding a good Honolulu REALTOR ®. You noticed it's all caps and has the "registered" mark on there, because it's a trademarked title that means a Honolulu real estate agent is not just an agent, but is a member of the Honolulu board of REALTORS ®.
Does that mean anything? Well it means that person pays a few hundreds dollars a year to the National association of REALTORS ® and the Honolulu local board too. But other than that, the only requirement to become a REALTOR ® is to take some classes every other year.
I'm telling you this because a lot of real estate agents think that their title means they are worth something, and a lot of buyers and sellers in Hawaii are convinced that seeing that title actually means something different than "real estate agent." A Honolulu REALTOR ® is held to a code of ethics and can be disciplined, but it doesn't guarantee you anything.
Questions for your Potential Honolulu Real Estate Agent
So how do you find a good real estate agent in Hawaii then? You interview them, just like you would interview anyone else you would hire. Yes, when you work with a REALTOR ®, you are hiring them to help you either buy or sell a home for you. So ask tough questions and get all the facts. Here are some suggestions, in no particular order, when it's time to find a Honolulu REALTOR ®.
- Does the agent have a college degree or graduate degree?
- How many transactions has he done? Real estate is very complex, you don't want a rookie do you?
- How long has he been licensed, and how much total business has he done?
- Can he provide past client references?
- What will he do to advertise your home? Will it be in print ads?
- Does he advertise his properties on the internet, other than the MLS?
- Who will take the pictures of the home? Will there be a professional photographer?
- Will there be a staging appointment and will it be extra?
- How well does he know the area? If your home is in Kailua, you want an agent who knows Kailua right?
- How will he handle a contract dispute?
- How will you get in contact? Will he be available anytime? Will he answer his cell phone whenever you call?
- Your search for a real estate agent has to be careful and methodical, or you could ruin the entire home sale. I have seen plenty of homes that didn't sell because of the REALTOR ®. When it's time to find a Honolulu real estate agent, you should realize that this decision will impact you for a long time, especially if you pick a bad one.
Based on information from the Multiple Listing Service of the Honolulu Board of REALTORS®. active listings last updated on August 24th, 2017 at 12:14am HST. Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Copyright: 2017 by the Honolulu Board of REALTORS®.
Listing information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.
Some of the active listings appearing on this site may be listed by other REALTORS®. If you are interested in those active listings, our company may represent you as the buyer's agent. If the active listing you are interested in is our company's active listing, you may speak to one of our agents regarding your options for representation.