I hope I got your attention with that headline. Recently there has been a lot of talk about Dr Horton/Schuler's plans to build 12,000-15,000 more homes on the farmland between Ewa and Kapolei.
Their website says, "Ho'opili... is a master planned community that will connect Ewa Beach, Waipahu, Makakilo & Kapolei. Currently in the planning stages, Ho'opili will feature a mix of affordable & market rate homes with approximately 10,000 to 15,000 homes planned. This master planned community will feature schools, commercial centers and other community amenities."
Last week the Land Use commission voted 5-3 against the project, while residents in the area grow more and more opposed to it.
There are about 789 reasons that this project should never be built, and here are just a few:
- They need to destroy very productive agricultural soil that has with lots of sun, gentle winds and cheap water. Produce here is expensive enough without destroying more farms in Oahu.
- The H-1 freeway from Aiea to Kapolei is completely congested during rush hours. This project would make the traffic unbearable, which in turn will make living in Kapolei unbearable, which in turn will make housing prices in Kapolei collapse.
- There are already more than 30,000 homes in the Leeward area already zoned for construction. We do not need more.
- We are already low on water, land fill for trash, and power. We simply do not have the infrastructure to add that many more homes on top of what is already planned.
- "Affordable" housing in Hawaii still means homes in the $300k-$400k range. We already have plenty of homes in that price range just down the road in Ewa, and farther over in Maili.
- NOBODY in that area wants this project done. Everyone I have spoken to is against it.
Listen up Schuler - nobody wants this project built! Take action - go sign the petition at the Stop Hoopoli website.